Remodeling a bathroom is an excellent way to refresh your space and increase your home’s value at the same time. Remodeling a bathroom can be as simple as applying a new coat of paint or buying a new sink and fixtures. Or you can go big – start with a fresh slate and give the bathroom an entirely new look. Whatever updates you’re dreaming of, it will pay to plan ahead.
On average, remodeling a bathroom costs between $5,000 and $10,000. The more major the project, the more it will cost. One way to control costs is to prepare well in advance. Mr. Handyman’s Bathroom Remodel Checklist serves as a guide for making smart decisions, budgeting and avoiding unpleasant surprises – so you can create a wonderful bathroom without paying extra.
Bathroom Remodel Tips
- Set a list of priorities and expectations.
- What is your big-picture goal?
- When does the job need to be finished?
- Set a budget.
- How much do you want to do? New shower and more square footage? Or just a new sink and a coat of paint? Make these decisions now before you start remodeling. Don’t forget the details, like the knobs on the new cabinets and the light switch covers.
- Choose a color palette or design style.
- Stay consistent with color and material choices, and choose options that are cohesive with the design in the rest of the house.
- Source your materials and permits.
- Talk to manufacturers. Look into alternative eco-friendly, low-VOC or moisture-resistant materials.
- Consider upgrades such as a bathroom fan, electric heater or radiant-heated floors.
- Try to purchase as much as possible before you begin.
- Plan logistics.
- Find out if you’ll need to plumb the toilet or shower or if you can you use existing pipes.
- Check shipping periods to make sure you can get all the materials in time.
- Line up a contractor or, if you’re doing the work yourself, clear your schedule.
- Will the remodel require enough tear-out that you’ll need to seal off other rooms from dust or noise?
- Anticipate obstacles.
- Will the subfloor need to be replaced?
- Will the new tub fit through the door?
- Can the existing wiring be used?
- Will the inspection officer be available during the remodel process?
- Create a timeline.
- Make a list that follows a logical timeline: Don’t repaint before caulking, and don’t finish the tile floor before installing the shower.
- Get creative.
- Think outside the box for a unique look: shiplap walls, board and batten, beadboard or tiles.
- Look for unique lights and furniture at thrift stores.
Bathroom Remodel Checklists & Cost Considerations
Basic Bathroom Upgrades & Costs
Use the guide below to set an allowance for the basic materials and fixtures involved in your remodel.
- Cabinets $_____
- Sink(s) $_____
- Shower (and floor) $_____
- Tub $_____
- Toilet $_____
- Faucets $_____
- Knobs $_____
- Mirrors $_____
- Floors $_____
- Tile and grout $_____
- Drywall and cement board $_____
- Lights $_____
- Paint and primer $____
- Exhaust fan $_____
- Vanity/countertops $_____
- Inspection/permit costs $____
- Fixtures/furniture/decorations $_____
Since some of the items above require different installation adhesives or materials, speak to the employees at your local hardware store when purchasing some of the materials listed below:
- Tile adhesive $_____
- Drywall installation materials $_____
- Vapor barrier/membrane $_____
- Caulk $_____
- Ceiling texture $_____
- Window and door trim $_____
- Plumbing fittings $_____
Luxury Bathroom Additions & Costs
These bathroom additions can add a nice, luxurious touch! How much will your favorite additions cost?
- Electric heater $____
- Radiant heated floors $____
- Heated towel rack $____
- More space $____
- Frameless glass shower door $____
- Cabinets/shelves for storage $____
- Dimmer switches $____
- High end building materials $____
- Television $____
- Smart mirror $____