Average Bathroom Remodel Cost
The average bathroom remodel costs $8,851, with most homeowners spending $5,578 to $15,138. A small bathroom remodel costs $2,500 to $15,000 and a master bath runs $10,000 to $30,000. Bathroom renovations cost $120 to $275 per square foot depending on the quality of materials, labor, and layout changes.
|National Average Cost||$8,851|
|Average Range||$5,578 to $15,138|
- Bathroom remodels increases your home’s resale value and have a 65% return on investment.
- A complete bathroom remodel takes 15 to 25 days or about 3 to 4 weeks.
- DIY remodels cost $1,500 to $10,000; however, hiring a pro would be only 20% of the total cost.
Consult with a bathroom remodeler to get free and accurate estimates near you, or check out our guide below for estimates, breakdowns, budgeting, and ideas.
Table of Contents
- Average Bathroom Remodel Cost
- Bathroom Remodel Cost Estimator
- Bathroom Renovation Costs
- Bathroom Remodel Cost Breakdown
- Typical Costs To Redo A Bathroom
- DIY Bathroom Remodel Cost
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Remodeling on a Budget
- Remodeling Ideas
- Hiring A Bathroom Remodeling Contractor
- Bathroom Remodel Near Me
Bathroom Remodel Cost Estimator
Bathroom remodeling cost estimates range from $3,000 to $30,000 with most contractors charging $5,000 to $15,000 depending on the room size. Other price factors include local labor rates, quality of materials and fixtures, changing or expanding the layout, adding fixtures, repairs, and hiring specialists.
|Small||$2,500 – $10,000|
|Full||$6,000 – $15,000|
|Master||$10,000 – $30,000|
- Installation and labor typically makes up 20% or more.
- Materials and fixtures regularly account for 60% and up.
- Hiring a professional designer runs about 5% to 10%.
- View our complete cost breakdown.
Get free estimates from bathroom remodelers. View Pros
Small Bathroom Remodel Cost
A small bathroom remodel costs $2,500 to $10,000, with most homeowners spending about $5,000 to renovate 40 square feet or less. Minor bathroom renovations with economical fixtures, basic upgrades, and some DIY work can cost $3,000 or less.
By: Titus Builders
Small Bathroom Remodel – Upscale design with double sinks, wood cabinets
Typical Full Bathroom Remodel Cost
A full bathroom remodel costs $6,000 to $15,000 for a complete tear-out where almost everything is replaced, but the layout doesn’t change. Midrange bathroom renovations include fixtures, showers, flooring, lighting, cabinets, wall tiling, painting, mirrors, and more.
By: Eco Design Pro Inc
White and Gray Full Bathroom Remodel with Luxury Fixtures and Custom Tile Shower.
Master Bathroom Remodel Cost
A master bathroom remodel costs $10,000 to $30,000 or $18,000 on average according to Remodeling Magazine. Luxury master bath remodels cost up to $50,000 and include high-end fixtures, upscale materials, freestanding bathtub, walk-in shower, a double vanity, flooring, lighting, and everything in between.
Average Cost of Bathroom Remodel Per Square Foot
The average cost of a bathroom remodel is $120 to $275 per square foot depending on the quality of the materials and fixtures, and local labor costs. DIY bathroom remodeling costs as low as $70 to $100 per square foot, but does require some experience when you renovate it yourself.
|Size||Square Feet||Average Cost|
|3×5||15||$1,800 – $4,100|
|4×6||16||$1,900 – $4,400|
|4×8||32||$3,900 – $8,800|
|5×7||35||$4,200 – $9,600|
|5×8||40||$4,900 – $10,900|
|5×9||45||$5,500 – $12,300|
|5×10||50||$6,100 – $13,700|
|6×6||36||$4,400 – $9,900|
|6×8||48||$5,900 – $13,100|
|6×9||54||$6,600 – $14,800|
|6×10||60||$7,300 – $16,400|
|7×9||63||$7,700 – $17,200|
|8×8||64||$7,800 – $17,500|
|8×10||80||$9,800 – $21,900|
|9×10||90||$11,000 – $24,600|
|10×10||100||$12,200 – $27,400|
|10×12||120||$14,700 – $32,800|
|11×9||99||$12,100 – $27,100|
|12×13||156||$19,000 – $42,800|
Average Labor Cost To Remodel Bathroom
The average labor cost to remodel a bathroom is $1,300 to $4,300 and up, or around 20% of the total budget for a standard bathroom. Bathroom remodeling contractors charge $40 to $100 per hour on average depending on the type of specialist.
- General contractors charge $30 to $90 per hour, or from 10% to 20% of the total project cost.
- Hiring a plumber costs $45 to $150 per hour.
- Hiring an electrician costs $40 to $100 per hour.
- Painters charge $20 to $50 per hour, or from $1 to $6 per square foot.
- Drywall installation prices are $1.60 to $2.35 per square foot.
- Interior designers charge $50 to $200 per hour.
Bathroom Remodel Materials Cost
Bathroom remodeling materials cost between $2,000 to $10,000 on average, or around 60%+ of the overall budget. Prices depend on whether the materials and fixtures are basic and off-the-shelf, or high-end and custom. The bathroom price list below shows a breakdown for a typical remodel.
|Fixtures||$300 – $2,500|
|Showers||$400 – $4,000|
|Vanity||$300 – $3,000|
|Countertops||$200 – $1,000|
|Light Fixture||$50 – $300|
|Exhaust Fan||$30 – $350|
|Flooring||$300 – $1,800|
|Doors & Windows||$200 to $1,500|
|Paint||$50 – $200|
|Mirror||$30 – $500|
|Plumbing||$400 – $2,000|
*Prices from Home Depot and Lowe’s. Does not include installation labor.
Bathroom Renovation Costs
An average bathroom renovation costs $2,000 to $5,000 depending on the size of the project and the quality of materials. Renovating a bathroom in stages is much cheaper than remodeling everything at once. Common bathroom updates include fixing damage, repainting, resurfacing, or replacing fixtures.
Bathroom renovations are typically fixing or replacing your current amenities, whereas remodeling involves adding or upgrading fixtures, showers, bathtubs, tiling, and possibly designing a new layout.
|Option||Average Cost To Install|
|Install Shower||$800 – $5,000|
|Install Bathtub||$800 – $6,000|
|Install Toilet||$120 – $800|
|Install Sink||$200 – $1,500|
|Install Cabinetry||$500 – $3,600|
|Install Medicine Cabinet||$100 – $300|
|Refacing Existing Cabinets||$200 – $800|
|Install Shower Tile||$300 – $3,000|
|Install Flooring||$800 – $7,000|
|Install Light Fixture||$150 – $1,500|
|Painting Cost||$150 – $500|
|Install Countertops||$450 – $1,500|
|Install Fan||$100 – $400|
|Install Mirror||$200 – $600|
|Install Hardware||$50 – $300|
|Complete Reglazing||$700 – $1,000|
|Obtain Permits||$200 – $800|
*Prices include materials and professional labor.
Find bathroom remodeling contractors near you. View Pros
By: Soglia Studios
Shower and Bathroom Design with Exposed Brick and freestanding tub
Cost To Gut & Demolish A Bathroom
The average cost to gut and demolish a bathroom is $400 to $2,000. Prices depend on the room size, type of materials, which fixtures are being removed, if walls are being demolished, and if any damage is found in the subflooring or inner wall structure. You can DIY to save money, but hire a professional to inspect your electrical wiring and plumbing.
Cost To Expand A Bathroom
The average cost to expand the size of a bathroom is $2,500 to $12,500. Expanding a bathroom includes installing new plumbing pipes, rerouting electrical, installing new framing and drywall, adding structural headers, and more. Building a new bathroom addition costs $20,000 to $50,000.
- Installing plumbing pipes costs $450 to $1,800 per fixture.
- Rerouting electrical wiring costs $2 to $4 per square foot.
- Upgrading an electrical panel costs $800 to $1,300 for more power.
- Drywall installation costs $1.60 – $2.35 per square foot.
- Hiring an architect and structural engineer costs $1,500 to $3,000.
Bathroom Disability Remodeling Cost
A bathroom remodel for disabled people costs $2,500 to $10,000 on average. Making a bathroom handicap-accessible may include grab bars, railings, changing the sink and toilet heights, a walk-in bathtub or barrier-free shower, a handheld showerhead, and widening doorways.
Most first-floor apartments and condominiums should have handicapped-accessible facilities. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers financial assistance and housing grants for remodeling between $7,000 and $39,000 for disabled veterans.
Bathroom Remodel Cost Breakdown
According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association’s breakdown, labor costs are the most significant expense of a bathroom remodel at 20% of the bill. Cabinetry and fixtures follow at 16% each, while design services at 4% are the least expensive.
|Installation & Labor||20%||$1,300 – $4,300|
|Cabinetry & Hardware||16%||$1,050 – $3,400|
|Fixtures||15%||$1,000 – $3,200|
|Faucets & Plumbing||14%||$900 – $3,000|
|Flooring||9%||$600 – $1,900|
|Countertops||7%||$450 – $1,500|
|Lighting & Ventilation||5%||$300 – $1,100|
|Walls & Ceiling||5%||$300 – $1,100|
|Doors & Windows||4%||$250 – $850|
|Design Services||4%||$250 – $850|
|Disposal & Other||1%||$50 – $250|
|Total||100%||$6,450 – $21,450|
Source: National Kitchen and Bath Association
Get free quotes for your remodeling project. View Pros
Bathroom Design Cost Estimate
Hiring a bathroom designer costs $50 to $200 per hour for a consultation, with estimates ranging from $1,200 to $4,800 or about 5% to 10% of the project for a complete design. Getting the expertise of a designer increases the chances your ideal bathroom becomes a reality and eases the process.
Shower Remodel Cost
Remodeling a shower costs $800 to $5,000 on average to install a new shower stall, while putting in a custom-fitted acrylic liner runs $4,000 to $7,000. For luxury master bathrooms, a soaker tub with a separate walk-in shower remodel costs $5,000 to $15,000.
Home improvement stores sell various premade kits, while companies like BathWraps and Bath Fitter use exact-fit liners for an easy one-day installation for about $4,000. These companies offer free in-home consultations and remodel showers without tearing anything out.
By: Ravensworth Custom Home Improvements LLC
Master Bathroom Renovation With Glass Shower Door, Double Vanity, & Tile Throughout.
Bathtub Remodel Prices
Installing a new bathtub costs between $800 and $6,000 for both labor and materials. A new bathtub liner costs $1,600 to $3,200 and completely covers your existing tub. The average cost to reglaze a tub is $275 to $559, or between $800 and $1,200 for the tub and shower tiles.
|Install New Bathtub||$1,000 – $2,500|
|Install Bathtub Liner||$1,700 – $2,500|
|Bathtub Reglazing||$275 – $550|
|Miracle Method Refinishing||$475 – $600 (tub only)
$800 – $1,200 (tub and tile surround)
|DIY Bathtub Refinishing||$30 – $200|
|Old Tub Removal||$85 – $250|
Cost To Redo Bathroom Floor
The average cost to redo a bathroom floor is $7 to $20 per square foot or between $800 and $3,500 on average. Flooring installation costs depend on the type of material, demolition and removal of the old floor, and any repairs or replacements to damaged sub-flooring.
|Material||Cost Per Square Foot|
|Tile||$10 – $20|
|Vinyl||$2 – $8|
|Linoleum||$3 – $10|
|Wood||$6 – $20|
By: Titus Builders
Master Bathroom Remodel – Freestanding tub, Granite, Tile flooring, large windows
Cost of Bathroom Fixtures
The average cost of bathroom fixtures for economy-grade is $500 to $2,500 and between $4,000 and $20,000 for high-end or custom fixtures. The total cost depends entirely on your budget and your tastes.
|Fixture||Economy & Basic||High-End & Custom|
|Toilet||$100 – $400||$700 – $2,000|
|Bathtub||$150 – $800||$1,500 – $10,000|
|Sink||$50 – $400||$700 – $2,000|
|Light||$150 – $1,000||$1,200 – $4,000|
|Vanity Cabinet||$120 – $800||$1,200 – $5,000|
*Average prices from Home Depot and Lowe’s. Installation costs not included.
Rebath Cost vs. Bath Planet & Other Brands
Bathroom remodeling services such as Re-bath, Bath Planet, and Bath Fitter typically charge $4,000 to $15,000 for a complete turn-key installation depending on the extent. These services specialize in quick and effortless bathroom remodels, such as installing a pre-designed bathtub and shower surrounds.
|Brand||Average Install Cost||Services|
|Re-Bath||$4,000 – $25,000||Minor and major remodels|
|Bath Planet||$6,000 – $15,000||Full bath/shower surrounds|
|Bath Fitter||$5,000 – $8,000||Full bath/shower surrounds|
|Luxury Bath||$9,000 – $15,000||Full bath/shower surrounds|
|Home Depot||$5,000 – $30,000+||Minor and major remodels|
|Lowes||$5,000 – $25,000+||Minor and major remodels|
Bathroom Cabinetry & Vanity Makeover
Installing a new bathroom vanity or cabinetry costs $500 to $3,600 on average. A typical two-door cabinet costs $560 or $1,600 with three drawers. Custom-fitting rough-in jobs add $200 to $350 to the final cost. Prices vary according to the type of wood or composite used.
Cost To Redo Bathroom Countertops
The average cost to redo bathroom countertops is $450 to $1,500 or from $15 to $60 per square foot depending on the labor and material costs. Extra fees may apply for tearing out the existing countertops.
|Material||Cost Per Square Foot|
|Ceramic or Porcelain Tile||$15 – $25|
|Laminate||$15 – $50|
|Formica||$15 – $30|
|Concrete||$65 – $135|
|Granite||$50 – $200|
|Marble||$25 – $180|
|Quartz||$50 – $100|
|Engineered Stone||$40 – $100|
|Terrazzo||$45 – $70|
Cost To Refinish A Bathroom
The average cost to refinish a bathroom is $120 to $1,200. Resurfacing or reglazing sinks, shower walls, or bathtubs costs $200 to $400 each, while refinishing all the flooring, countertops, wall tiles, and tub runs $750 to $1,200 in total.
|Sink||$120 – $500|
|Shower Walls||$225 – $400|
|Bathtub||$285 – $400|
|Bathtub Liner||$1,700 – $2,500|
|Cabinets||$590 – $1,300|
|Floor, Countertops, Wall Tiles & Tub||$750 – $1,200|
Refinishing a bathroom saves you from buying new bathroom fittings and makes your old sink, tub, shower, and tiles look like new again. Plus, refinishing takes less time than installing new fixtures and comes in a variety of color options.
Electric & Plumbing Renovation Costs
Relocating or installing new electrical or plumbing fixtures typically costs $100 to $800 or more depending on the upgrade and if the contractors run into any issues. Also, older homes that don’t meet current building codes may need new plumbing pipes or electrical wiring to increase power.
- A new toilet costs $200 to $500 to replace.
- Adding a new toilet rough-in costs $600 to $1,000.
- A new sink costs $200 to $500.
- New plumbing costs $125 to $800.
- New electrical outlet installation costs $120 to $250.
- Installing a new light fixture costs $200 to $800.
- Water heater installation costs $650 to $1,600.
Do You Need Permits To Remodel A Bathroom?
Bathroom remodeling permits typically cost $200 to $800, which includes the plan review, inspections, the permit, and fees. Pricing is location dependent, and some municipalities charge a flat 1% fee of the total construction costs. The process takes up to six weeks to finish inspections and issue the permit.
Additional fees may occur if your home is in a historic neighborhood. Typically, your contractor takes care of all the permitting and include these costs in their contract. Check with your homeowner’s association to find out the local requirements. Without the right permits, it could be challenging to sell your home later.
Typical Costs To Redo A Bathroom
The average cost to completely redo a bathroom is $6,000 to $25,000 depending on where you live, the size of your bathroom, and the quality of materials. Prices vary for one-day remodels, condos, shower room remodels, basements, and powder rooms.
Cost To Update Bathroom By Location
Where you’re located affects your overall remodeling costs. The chart below shows the average prices in each city for a basic bathroom remodel of 35 SF to a high-end master bathroom of 120 SF.
|City, State||Average Cost|
|New York, NY||$8,900 – $28,700|
|Los Angeles, CA||$7,500 – $24,100|
|Chicago, IL||$7,700 – $24,600|
|Houston, TX||$6,500 – $20,700|
|Phoenix, AZ||$6,800 – $21,400|
|Philadelphia, PA||$7,600 – $24,300|
|San Antonio, TX||$6,300 – $19,900|
|Dallas, TX||$6,500 – $20,700|
|San Diego, CA||$7,500 – $24,000|
|Detroit, MI||$7,200 – $23,000|
|San Francisco, CA (Bay Area)||$8,000 – $25,700|
|Jacksonville, FL||$6,300 – $19,900|
|Indianapolis, IN||$7,000 – $22,200|
|Austin, TX||$6,400 – $20,100|
|Columbus, OH||$6,900 – $22,100|
|Fort Worth, TX||$6,500 – $20,700|
|Charlotte, NC||$6,500 – $20,400|
|Memphis, TN||$6,600 – $20,900|
|Baltimore, MD||$7,000 – $22,100|
|Boston, MA||$6,800 – $19,500|
|Milwaukee, WI||$7,100 – $22,500|
|Denver, CO||$6,800 – $21,600|
|Seattle, WA||$7,500 – $24,200|
|Nashville, TN||$6,600 – $21,000|
|Washington, DC||$6,900 – $22,100|
|Las Vegas, NV||$7,200 – $23,100|
|Portland, OR||$7,100 – $22,800|
|Louisville, KY||$6,600 – $21,000|
|Oklahoma City, OK||$6,600 – $20,900|
|Atlanta, GA||$6,600 – $21,000|
|Albuquerque, NM||$6,800 – $21,500|
|Kansas City, MO||$6,900 – $22,100|
|Omaha, NE||$6,500 – $20,600|
|Cleveland, OH||$7,400 – $23,600|
|Virginia Beach, VA||$6,400 – $20,300|
|Miami, FL||$6,500 – $20,300|
|Minneapolis, MN||$7,400 – $23,600|
*Prices include site preparation, materials, labor, project supplies, and cleanup.
Get quotes from remodeling contractors near you. View Pros
One-Day Bathroom Remodel Cost
A one-day bathroom remodel costs $4,000 to $15,000 on average. Companies such as Rebath and Bath Planet charge $600 to $1,000 per fixture or packages that include a new shower stall, bath surround, toilet, sink, and vanity. These remodels are typically completed in one to five days.
Condo Bathroom Renovation Cost
A condo bathroom renovation costs $8,000 to $25,000 on average. Contractors sometimes charge extra fees for working in smaller spaces since it makes the job more difficult and takes more time. Get approval from your Homeowners Association (HOA) before making significant changes.
5′ x 7′ – Small Bathroom Renovation with Custom Design Work, Custom Cabinetry, and Plumbing Upgrades.
Shower Room Renovation Cost
Repairing or renovating a shower room costs $250 to $4,000 depending on the type and what new parts are needed. A whole new shower room installation costs $900 to $2,000+ for both labor and materials.
|Showerhead||$15 – $300|
|Shower Door||$250 – $500|
|Shower Pan or Base||$400 – $700|
|Tub & Surround||$200 – $1,500|
|Retiling||$2,000 – $5,000|
Bathroom Remodel with custom cabinetry, shelving, and walk-in shower
Mobile Home Bathroom Remodel Cost
A mobile home bathroom remodel costs $2,000 to $8,000 on average, depending on the size and quality of the fixtures. Remodeling a mobile home bathroom costs at least $500 more than a regular home due to the smaller space, which requires custom fittings and special fixtures.
Basement Bathroom Remodel Cost
Remodeling a bathroom in your basement or converting a partial bathroom into a full one costs $5,000 to $10,000 on average. Plumbing costs to renovate a basement bathroom are more expensive than the rest of the home due to sewage-ejector system maintenance and installation fees.
Half-Bath or Powder Room Remodel Cost
A half-bath remodel costs $3,000 to $5,000 for a low-end project, while a high-end powder room remodel runs up to $15,000. An average half-bath or powder room is 18 to 30 square feet, and it has just enough space for one sink and a toilet.
High-End Bathroom Remodel Cost
A high-end bathroom remodel costs $25,000 to $40,000 for a complete makeover that includes unique designs, top-quality fixtures, custom cabinetry, additional lighting, heated floors, wall-length mirrors, and plumbing and electrical relocation.
150 square feet – Custom Bathroom Remodel with Private Patio Addition and Custom Fixtures.
How Much Does It Cost to Remodel a Bathroom Yourself?
A DIY bathroom remodel costs $1,500 to $10,000, or between $70 and $100 per square foot for low-end fixtures. Remodeling a bathroom yourself typically saves 50% from no labor costs, but you may still need to hire professionals for complicated plumbing and electrical work.
|3×5||$1,050 – $1,500|
|5×7||$2,450 – $3,500|
|6×8||$3,360 – $4,800|
|8×8||$4,480 – $6,400|
|10×10||$7,000 – $10,000|
Compare DIY costs to local professionals. View Pros
By: Titus Builders
Typical Bathroom Renovation – Classic double sink, white cabinets, tile flooring
Here are a few YouTube tutorials on how to redo a bathroom yourself:
- Budgeting tips for a bathroom makeover.
- DIY remodel with assistance from a Home Depot contractor.
- DIY Small Bathroom Makeover with a step-by-step overview.
- DIY Bathroom Remodel with a step-by-step overview.
DIY Tools & Supplies Cost
If you don’t already have the tools required, expect to spend anywhere from $100 to $600 to purchase all the supplies you need.
|Gloves||$4 – $20|
|Caulking Gun & Sealant||$8 – $60|
|Hammer||$5 – $30|
|Tape Measure||$3 – $15|
|Spackle & Knife||$10 – $30|
|Stud Finder||$5 – $50|
|Power Drill||$20 – $200|
|Pry Bar||$5 – $30|
|Chisel||$3 – $20|
|Wrench & Screwdrivers||$10 – $50|
|Hacksaw||$5 – $30|
|Utility Knife||$2 – $8|
|Chalk Line||$8 – $20|
|Safety Mask||$3 – $10|
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A 5×7 Bathroom?
The average cost to remodel a 5×7 bathroom is $4,200 to $9,600, including fixtures, materials, and professional labor. DIY costs with discounted parts start at $2,400. Prices depend on if it’s a standard remodel or if the bathroom has unique design features and custom fixtures.
By: Eco Design Pro Inc
Remodeling A Small Bathroom – New Shower, Sink, Cabinets, & Flooring with Eco-Design.
How Long Does It Take To Remodel A Bathroom?
Professional contractors take 15 to 25 days, or 3 to 4 weeks to fully remodel a bathroom depending on the size, design, level of fixtures, and if any plumbing changes are being made. Smaller bathroom renovations or refurbishings take 1 to 2 weeks to update.
|Minor Renovation||5 – 7|
|Cosmetic Refurbishing||10 – 14|
|Full Remodel||15 – 25|
What Is The Return On Investment For Bathroom Remodel?
The average return on investment for a bathroom remodel is 65% depending on the type of remodel and the quality of finishes. A mid-range remodel with standard fixtures and a neutral design returns 67.1%, while an upscale remodel with custom fixtures and unique designs yields 60.2%.
|Level||Return On Investment|
Are Bathroom Remodels Worth It?
Remodeling your bathroom increases your home’s resale value and helps it sell faster. Most bathroom remodels earned owners a 60% to 67% return on investment. Plus, your overall property value will increase by $13,700 for a mid-range remodel or up to $39,000 for an upscale remodel.
How Much Does It Cost To Retile A Bathroom?
Retiling a bathroom costs $10 to $40 per square foot plus at least $300 for old tile removal, and repairing any sub-flooring or surface damage beneath the tiles costs $1,000 or more. The average cost to retile a 120 square foot bathroom is $1,700 to $3,200.
Does Lowe’s or Home Depot Do Bathroom Remodeling?
Both Lowe’s and Home Depot offer bathroom remodeling services. Home Depot remodels cost $5,000 for a powder room up to $30,000 for a master bathroom remodel. Lowe’s suggests that customers expect to pay at least $100 per square foot on bathroom remodels. Both stores offer repairs on your existing fixtures and installing upgrades or new replacement parts.
Bathroom Remodeling on a Budget
The National Kitchen and Bath Association found that 38% of people have smaller bathroom remodeling budgets of $2,500, and only 21% spend more than $7,000. Remodeling on a budget still increases your home’s value and has a 67% return on investment. DIY tasks are available, or you can remodel your bathroom in stages to save money.
How To Save on Bathroom Renovations
Keeping your overall costs down generates a higher return-on-investment. Make your bathroom renovation more affordable with these money-saving tips:
- Remodel in stages: Remodel your bathroom in stages instead of all at once. Replace broken or inefficient parts first and then move on to other sections as more budget becomes available.
- Avoid moving the tub, toilet, or shower: Moving fixtures requires additional plumbing work that costs much more and adds several days to your project.
- Buy materials yourself: Many DIY pros advise paying for a consultation or design services only, then purchasing the parts on clearance from local home improvement stores.
- Reuse or resurface fixtures: If your toilet, sink, cabinets, or bathtub isn’t broken, consider reusing them. Another option is to refinish, resurface, or repaint the old fixtures, which cuts costs in half and makes them look new again.
- Reglaze and regrout old tiles: If the tiles aren’t cracked or chipped, don’t replace them. Reglazing tiles gives them a new surface finish in any color for around $800. Using intensive cleaning agents, then adding a layer of fresh grout makes them look like new.
- Pick open shelves instead of cabinets: Not only are open shelves cheaper, but they create a sense of having more space in your bathroom.
- Choose affordable alternatives: Choose off-the-shelf fixtures and materials over custom pieces. For example, a walk-in shower with only a shower curtain barrier saves you the added costs of installing a sliding shower door.
- Do some DIY: Tasks such as removing old fixtures, ripping out old tiles and tubs, or painting the walls will speed up the process and help reduce your overall costs.
Ideas To Avoid
- Don’t install laminate countertops unless you’re doing a low-budget, fast remodel. Non-porous stone or tile counters last longest.
- Don’t put wallpaper inside a bathroom because it won’t last long due to the humidity. Painted walls are better if you’re on a tight budget.
Remodel Your Bathroom All At Once, Or In Stages?
Major bathroom remodels take weeks, so it’s better to do the entire bathroom all at once because it’s used often. Only remodel a bathroom in stages if you are limited in budget and have another full bath available to use. There’s nothing worse than doing a renovation without having a fully functional bathroom.
Instead of one update at a time, group the larger tasks at the same time to save on labor costs. For example, if you’re installing a tub and new tile floor, do it together.
Consult with an experienced remodeler for free. View Pros
Bathroom Remodeling Ideas
When planning your new bathroom, discovering ideas and design trends is an essential part of the process. Consider these ideas recommended from professionals:
- Choose textured bathroom flooring materials that are non-slip and non-porous.
- Glazed flooring surfaces are easier to clean and more stain-resistant than natural stone.
- Select larger tiles where possible. Larger tiles are a popular design trend and have less grout to clean later.
- Install towel bars on the back of your bathroom door in a small bathroom to save space.
- Use painter’s tape to mark the heights where you want to hang your mirror, shelves, and towel racks after the contractors finish the walls.
- Choose a ventilation fan based on your bathroom’s location. Large, loud fans add a sense of privacy, but may wake others up at night.
- Choose a corner sink or pedestal sink for small bathrooms to save space.
- Vanity and built-in sink combo sets offer the most storage space, but take up the most area.
- Floating vanities offer a completely open floor space beneath for variable storage.
- Install more mirrors or increase the size of your existing mirrors to make the bathroom feel more spacious.
- Install a shower bench for sitting, shaving, storage, and to enhance the functionality of a shower.
- Add a luxury massage-spray showerhead with extra features.
By: Ravensworth Custom Home Improvements LLC
Modern and Luxury Bathroom Remodel with Floor to Ceiling Tile and Walk-in Shower.
Green Bathroom Remodeling Ideas
You can create a more environmentally friendly bathroom by selecting energy-efficient fixtures and accessories. For example:
|Faucet Aerators||$3 – $12||Reduces the flow of water without reducing pressure saving water and energy.|
|Shower Aerators||$15 – $30||Low-pressure showerheads lower your water bills.|
|Touchless Faucet||$90 – $500||Automatic faucets are easy to turn on (and off), saving water.|
|Bidet Toilet||$1,200 – $1,800||Washes below the belt and eliminates the need for toilet paper.|
|Low-flow Toilet||$90 – $500||Modern low-flow toilets provide ample flushing power while saving water.|
|Eco-friendly Shower Curtain||$30 – $200||Curtains made from hemp, cotton, or polyester blends are a great alternative to toxic PVC vinyl curtains.|
|Skylights||$500 – $3,000||Embrace better, natural lighting by installing skylights to save electricity.|
|Grey-water System||$700 – $4,000||Reuses water from sinks, baths, showers, and washing machines to irrigate your garden.|
|Eco-friendly Cabinets||$80 – $3,000+||Made from sustainable wheat board, timber, or bamboo, and are non-toxic.|
|Eco-friendly Flooring||$2 – $20 per square foot||Sustainable flooring materials are often non-toxic, like cork, bamboo, or recycled glass tiles.|
13′ x 8′ – Custom Designed Bathroom Remodel – Plumbing Upgrades and Custom Cabinetry
Sharing pictures, ideas, websites, colors, and other examples with your contractor ahead of time makes the remodeling process smoother and ensures you get the bathroom of your dreams.
Hiring A Bathroom Remodeling Contractor
Before hiring a contractor, it’s essential to plan accordingly, ask questions, get multiple cost estimates, and learn the process of working with bathroom remodelers.
Questions To Ask A Bathroom Remodeling Contractor
- How many bathroom remodels have you done like this before?
Every remodeling project is different, and contractors may specialize in certain kinds of jobs. Ask about their expertise upfront to get the best results.
- Can I see a portfolio of your past bathroom remodeling jobs?
Ask to see photos and examples of their past work. Ask the contractor for references to contact and read their reviews in detail online.
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
Verify upfront that all contractors and subcontractors are licensed, insured, and bonded, and that their information is up to date.
- Who’s the project manager, and will you use subcontractors?
General contractors may appoint a supervisor or project manager to run the day-to-day process of your remodel. Be sure to meet them upfront. If your contractor hires specialists, verify their licensing and insurance, and ask upfront what will be subcontracted.
- What hours do you and your crew work?
Ask what time their work day starts and ends. Some contractors like to start very early, while others will stick around late. Also, ask if they clean up at the end of each day.
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
If a contractor doesn’t know which permits you need, or is not willing to get them, it’s a sign they may be unlicensed. Once the permits are acquired, ask to see them before the project begins.
- What’s your payment schedule like?
Avoid making any payments upfront. Never pay in full, and all payments should be made for work completed or at the end of each milestone.
- What does your warranty policy include?
Coverage of 1 to 2 years after finishing the job is an average timeframe.
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
Don’t sign a contract with someone who won’t take responsibility for mistakes during construction.
Getting Quotes & Signing An Agreement
After researching, meeting with multiple contractors on-site, asking questions, verifying state licensing and insurance, going through the project details, and comparing estimates, it’s time to select a contractor and get everything in writing. Look for the following information in your contract:
- Precise beginning date, deadlines, and schedule for each task.
- Details for who handles the cleanup afterward
- Explanation of who takes on the responsibility of protecting finished surfaces during construction
- Itemized list of all permits, materials, and labor involved.
- An explanation of how they’ll notify you of any unexpected costs.
- List of all the construction tasks they’ll complete along with the prices of each.
- Full warranty description.
- Description of all flood tests and pressure tests they’ll perform for new fixtures and plumbing.
- Penalties when the contractors don’t meet their deadlines
Bathroom Remodel Process
- Plan the layout, and make a list of all the updates desired.
- Research all the materials and fixtures you want, and have a good idea of any custom elements.
- Research contractors and get at least three in-person estimates.
- Agree on budget and timeframe, and sign the contract.
- Plan the design, get permits, and order the materials.
- Contractors start the tear out by gutting everything and fixing any unexpected problems such as leaks or mold.
- Rerouting plumbing or electrical updates if fixtures are changing locations.
- Installing flooring, tiling, paint, fixtures, and lighting.
- A final walkthrough to ensure everything has been completed to your satisfaction.
Now that you know how to plan and budget your bathroom remodel, get free estimates from remodeling contractors in your area. Compare prices, reviews, and past work quickly and easily here on HomeGuide.
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted bathroom remodelers: